Welcome to Mt. Zion UMC
After the Civil War, several communities of Negro landowners sprang up in Neshoba County, some on undeveloped land and others in the misdst of white farming communities. Among them were Mt. Zion, Poplar Springs (located two miles south of Mt. Zion across Highway 16), Northbend, Stallo, Muckalusha and Hopewell. The Mt. Zion community -- located about eight miles east of Philadelphia -- is one of the oldest Negro communities in the county and has a proud sense of history. The first land in the community to be owned by negroes was bought in 1879 by former slaves Thomas and Harriet Jones. They bought 60 acres of land from Parson @.J. Seales who had bought the land in 1869 from pioneer James Jones. J. Jones had bought the land in the 1840s and 1850s from a Choctaw Indian named Onawha.
In the 1880s, other Negroes moved into the community. They bought small parcels of land from Parson Seales, other white men and, sometimes, from Negro landowners.Read More
Pastor Peggy's Inspirations